Friday, July 24, 2009

Puppies and Prisoners

"The program has taught me to be patient, honest with myself, and how to work without ego. My last dog, Yankee, went to a war veteran somewhere in Colorado. Just knowing that I helped to change someone's life makes me feel as if I have a purpose and a destiny. These dogs have a way of touching a person's spirit." --Tyrone, has served 8.5 years in Fishkill Correctional Facility for a violent crime.

Time Magazine's article on Puppies in Prison is a must read. The photo essay explores the program Puppies Behind Bars, which "trains inmates to raise puppies to become service dogs for the disabled and explosive detection canines for law enforcement." The photo essay shows us how dogs can change the lives of prisoners and give them a sense of purpose and positive place in the world.

And, that's a good thing for everyone!

1 comment: