Monday, December 29, 2008

How often can I wash my dog?







Today, a client came into Doggy Dooz, Billy's salon, and asked this question:

"My vet said that I shouldn't wash my Husky more than twice a year because it would make his fur fall out.  Billy, is this true?"

Once I recovered from the shock of this treachery and pulled myself up off the floor, I realized that there's a whole lot of misinformation floating around out there--even from educated experts.  The truth is, the only thing I know of (other than severe trauma) that can remove a dog's fur en masse is Nair.  Nair, however, is a human product and as such should NEVER EVER be used on a dog.   Now, back to the question.  

All dog's must be washed way more than twice a year.  If not for the sake of your nose, bedspread and sofa, then for the health of Fido's skin and coat (not to mention his self-esteem).  Imagine how you'd feel if your hair was so long that it touched the ground everywhere you went and you smelled all your friends' butts and never came near soap. 

As long as you wash your dog correctly, you can wash as often as you'd like.  In my book, I'll teach you step-by-step how to wash your dog properly and easily at home.  In the meantime, use products formulated for dogs and rinse, rinse, rinse.  I wash many clients every week and I wash Zeke and Arthur at least once a week.  They've never lost their coat or even had a skin problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment